The Rolling Stones – On Air (2LP)
Available on backorder
Release Date: Dec 1, 2017
December 1st sees the release of The Rolling Stones ‘On Air’, an album full of BBC recordings from the 1960’s which offers a unique insight into the formative days of the band.
This is the Stones where it all started, playing the music they loved so much – Blues, R&B and even Country.
December 1, 2017 will see the release of The Rolling Stones – On Air, a collection of rarely heard radio recordings from their formative years.
The songs, including eight the band have never recorded or released commercially, were originally broadcast on bygone UK BBC shows such as Saturday Club, Top Gear, Rhythm and Blues and The Joe Loss Pop Show between 1963 and 1965. These flashbacks offer an insight into the band as a vital and constantly surprising live unit. Such was the frequency with which they visited BBC studios in the 60’s, the group constantly set out to offer listeners something different. As well as songs that never appeared on singles or albums, there are seven tracks that were debuted over the airwaves before featuring on albums or EPs.
The group’s take on familiar R&B staples like “Roll Over Beethoven,” “Memphis, Tennessee” and “Beautiful Delilah” (all originated by Chuck Berry) illustrate the verve and energy the Stones regularly brought to their live shows. The BBC would urge them to perform their current singles, and while happy to do so they also relished the opportunity to showcase a fuller picture of their prowess as Britain’s foremost blues outfit, packing clubs and ballrooms night after night.
- Come On – Saturday Club, 26 October 1963
- (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction – Saturday Club, 18 September 1965
- Roll Over Beethoven – Saturday Club, 26 October 1963
- The Spider And The Fly – Yeah Yeah, 30 August 1965
- Cops And Robbers – Blues in Rhythm, 9 May 1964
- It’s All Over Now – The Joe Loss Pop Show, 17 July 1964
- Route 66 – Blues in Rhythm, 9 May 1964
- Memphis, Tennessee – Saturday Club, 26 October 1963
- Down The Road Apiece – Top Gear, 6 March 1965
- The Last Time – Top Gear, 6 March 1965
- Cry To Me – Saturday Club, 18 September 1965
- Mercy, Mercy – Yeah Yeah, 30 August 1965
- Oh! Baby (We Got A Good Thing Goin’) – Saturday Club, 18 September 1965
- Around And Around – Top Gear, 23 July 1964
- Hi Heel Sneakers – Saturday Club, 18 April 1964
- Fannie Mae – Saturday Club, 18 September 1965
- You Better Move On – Blues in Rhythm, 9 May 1964
- Mona – Blues In Rhythm, 9 May 1964